In August 2023, a Listening & Learning Tour event was held in Española, New Mexico, at the Northern New Mexico College (NNMC). The event was focused on economic security for women, which was determined to be one of the top four issues affecting women in our state. This information came from the previous Listening & Learning Tour in 2021 and was also selected in response to the economic and work challenges women faced during the pandemic.
- Hector Balederas, Northern New Mexico College, President
- Senator Leo Jaramillo, District 5
- Representative Joseph Sanchez, District 40
- Denise Montoya, Northern New Mexico College, Vice President
- Julianna Barbee, Española Small Business Development Center
- Manny Martinez, City Councilman
- Jenifer Raphael Getz, New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women, Executive Director
Small Business Development and Local Offices:
- Taos: Anwar Kaelin
- Los Alamos: Sandra Jones
- Las Vegas: Don Bustos
- Santa Fe: Debra Collins
At the event, a panel discussion with local women business owners focused on how to start, market, and run a successful small business.
Española Entrepreneurship Panel Speakers- Click on each name to explore their business!
- Liana Sanchez, Avanyu General Contracting LLC, CEO
- Elizabeth Inmen, Purple Adobe Lavender Farm, Owner
- Giovanna Paponetti, Taos Fine Artist and Published Author
The CSW worked with local and state political officials, Small Business Development Center personnel, and the team at NNMC. The goal of this collaboration was to provide women with an ongoing group of local resources to draw from in the future, as well as to establish connections in this region of the state.